Year-in-Review: M&A Activity Strong for Roofing in 2018
Roofing Contractor’s “State of the Industry Report and Survey 2018” noted the high number of mergers and acquisitions in 2016 and 2017 and that industry experts expected the trend to continue in 2018.
They were right.
Merger and acquisition (M&A) activity was continually highlighted by Roofing Contractor online and in print throughout 2018, often among the most popular stories with readers — making it “Roofing Industry Mergers & Acquisitions” one of our top 10 stories of the year.
Here is a run-down of more than 30 deals we told you about during 2018:
- SOPREMA Acquires Derbigum Americas. The deal was announced Aug. 1. Derbigum Americas now is a subsidiary of SOPREMA.
- Canadian Investment Firm Acquires Tecta America: The deal was announced Oct. 29 and completed about a month later.
- Firm Recapitalizes North American Roofing: The deal was announced Nov. 26.
- Carlisle Cos. to Acquire Petersen Aluminum for $197 Million: The deal was announced Dec. 10.
- IKO Acquires Roof Tile Group for $39 Million: The deal for IKO to acquired operations of the Roof Tile Group was announced Nov. 2.
- Flynn Group of Companies to Acquire Cobra BEC Inc.: The deal was announced mid-March.
- SRS Distribution and Berkshire Partners Announce Closing of Transaction: In May, SRS distribution announced affiliates of Leonard Green & Partners L.P. would become majority shareholders.
- ABC Supply Acquires Assets of West Virginia Company: The deal announced in Oct. 17 called for ABC Supply to acquire CSC Home & Hardware.
- Atlas Roofing Acquires ACH Foam Technologies: Announced Aug. 28, the deal created the largest manufacturer of molded polystyrene in North America.
- ABC Supply Co. Inc. Acquires the Assets of DRI Supply Co.: In another October deal, ABC Supply Co. announced it has acquired DRI Supply Co.
- Tecta America Acquires Roofing and Sheet Metal Companies in Indiana. Tecta acquired Fort Wayne Roofing and Sheet Metal and Indianapolis Roofing and Sheet Metal in a deal announced in April.
- SRS Distribution Announces the Acquisition of Top-Notch Roofing Supply with Two Locations: The deal was announced March 31 and gave SRS further reach into Texas.
- Tecta America Acquires New England Company: Tecta acquired The Melanson Co., Vermont Roofing and AC Hathorne Co. for an undisclosed amount in a deal announced Nov. 21.
- SRS Distribution Acquires New Jersey Company: SRS acquired Bill Wahl Supply Inc. for an undisclosed amount in a deal announced Nov. 19.
- Tecta America Acquires 123-Year-old St. Louis Company: Tecta acquired the business of RSS Roofing Services and Solutions in a deal announced Nov. 9.
- Drone Service Provider PrecisionHawk Acquires Uplift Data Partners: The deal was announced Nov. 7.
- Inland Coatings Acquires TRUCO: Announced Nov. 6, Inland Coatings Holdings acquired TRUCO Inc. from the Hoskins family.
- BLUEFIN Acquires Delaware-based Professional Roof Services: The deal was announced Sept. 7.
- Installed Building Products Acquires Trademark Roofing and Gutters: The deal was announced Sept. 6.
- U.S. LBM Acquires Blevins Building Supply: Deal announced Sept. 6.
- Ply Gem Acquires Division of Andersen for $190 Million: The deal was announced Aug. 31. The division was Andersen's hollow core vinyl window and patio door business.
- SRS Distribution Acquires Crown C Supply Co.: The deal was announced Aug. 29. Crown C Supply serves a 200-mile around St. Louis.
- ABC Supply Co. Inc. Acquires the Assets of Landis Supply: Announced Aug. 15, Landis Supply is in Vineland, N.J.
- SRS Distribution Acquires Part of Pennsylvania’s Interstate Building Materials: The deal was announced July 20. The "part" was the wholesale division of Interstate.
- Beacon Roofing Acquires Seattle’s Atlas Supply: The deal was announced July 19. Atlas Supply is a distributor of sealants, coatings, etc. in the Pacific Northwest.
- ABC Supply Acquires Assets of Pennsylvania Company: ABC acquired Alliance Wholesale Supply in a deal announced July 17.
- CertainTeed Agrees to Acquire Hunter Douglas’ North American Ceilings Business: Announced July 12.
- ABC Supply Co. Acquires Assets of California-based G&F Roof Supply: Announced June 22.
- USG to be Acquired in $7 Billion Deal: Announced in June, and expected to close in early 2019.
- U.S. LBM Acquires Myrtle Beach Building Supply in South Carolina: The deal was announced May 14 and expanded U.S. LBM's reach into the Carolinas.
- PetersenDean Roofing & Solar Acquires Haleakala Solar: Announced in March, Haleakala is Hawaii's largest solar and battery installer.
- Ply Gem to be Acquired by Clayton in Blockbuster $2.4 Billion Deal: Investment firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice acquired Ply Gem in February with plans to create a major exterior building products company.
- Jasper Contracting Acquires One Source Roofing: The deal announced Dec. 6 gives Jasper more reach in Florida.
- Tecta America Acquires Virginia-based Roof Services Corp.: Announced Dec. 10.