The Davis Memorial Foundation, operated under the Western States Roofing Contractors Association, announced the winners of its 2020 scholarships.
Each year, the foundation supports higher education by providing scholarships to students pursuing a degree that relates to the construction industry. The following are the students who received this year's scholarships this past July (in alphabetical order):
- Kenzie Bloom — San Diego State University — Dan Blue / Blue's Roofing Scholarship
- Camille Dodson — University of Reno — Cotney Construction Law Scholarship
- Grace Nicole Gladstone — Gonzaga University — Star Roofing Inc. Scholarship
- Tyler Kleinsasser — South Dakota School of Mines & Technology — Waterproofing Associates Scholarship
- Chandler Wiggins — University of Kansas — Davis Memorial Foundation Scholarship
This year, the Davis Memorial Foundation is offering donors the chance to claim one of its "Name Your" Scholarships. The scholarships allow for the donors to name their own $5,000 academic scholarship, whether it is after a person or business. The foundation's goal is to award $50,000 in scholarships (10 $5,000 scholarships) in 2021.
In addition, the foundation has set up a Partners for the Future program that allows a simple tax-deductible donation to be made to the Davis Memorial Foundation. Those that donate will have their company name listed on the foundation's website, on signage throughout the WSRCA's Western Roofing Expo in 2021, and at the foundation's welcome event and auction. The Western Roofing Expo is scheduled to take place June 27-29 at the Paris Las Vegas.
The foundation gives priority to students who want to attend a trade school, or earn a college or university degree that relates to the construction industry. Employees, spouses and children of roofing industry professionals in particular are encouraged to apply. Since its founding in 1997, the Davis Memorial Foundation has awarded over 125 scholarships totaling more than $525,000.