The Reflective Insulation Manufacturers Association International (RIMA-I) has started a new annual building award contest, which launched this year to recognize building projects completed in 2007 that utilized reflective products in an exceptional way.
The 2008 “It's About Saving Energy" Building Award contest entries received fell into two of four available categories: Residential and Metal Building.
Three judges took on the task of reviewing all the entries and selecting the winners. Plaques for the winning member companies and, if applicable, the installer for the project, will be presented at the upcoming RIMA-I meetings in Miami, Fla.
The winners are:
- In the Residential Building Category, the winner was Foil Barrier Insulation in Arlington, Texas, for their project of a remodel residence in an exclusive Dallas area of Bent Tree Country Club. The sheet rock and fiberglass batt insulation in the great room was removed and replaced by Foil Barrier with four layers of Tempshield Double Bubble two-sided Foil R15 Radiant Barrier Insulation maximizing limited space in replacement of the minimal R-value of fiberglass batt insulation. The four layers of Tempshield were installed with a minimal one-inch air gap under the roof decking and between layers of material allowing hot air to be released to the main attic area and to go out rather than being trapped in the vaulted area. The remainder of the attic was retrofitted with Super R Plus Radiant Barrier foil mounted to the bottom cord of rafters near the roof decking and included were the attic vertical walls. (Foil Barrier Website: www.foilbarrier.com or e-mail: joe@foilbarrier).
- In the Metal Building Category, the winner was Isolant S.A. In Buenos Aires, Argentina for their project of an existing parabolic metal shed of a basketball stadium. The stadium is located at Bahia Blanca, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina situated by the sea with low temperatures in winter and high temperatures in the summer. Being an existing roof, they analyzed along with the builder how to install their product, 10mm thick polyethylene foam with aluminum foil on both sides. The appearance of the basketball field changed dramatically getting much more luminosity, the condensation of steam disappeared and it maintains stable temperatures all year. (Isolant S.A. Website: www.isolant.com.ar or e-mail: biain@isolant).
The following entries received Honorary Mention:
- ESP/Low-E for their residential entry of the Garth Callaghan Construction spec home using the Built Green WRV rating system utilizing Low-E tab, Econo-E and Low-E Slabshield.
- Foil Barrier Insulation for their metal building entry of a manufacturing facility on a sports lighting company using Super R Plus 97% Reflective Foil Radiant Barrier.
- Louisiana Pacific for their residential entry of a four-unit town home built by KB Home and Martha Stewart Living Omni media in Cary, N.C., using LP TechShield Radiant Barrier Sheathing and LP TechShield Radiant Barrier Foil.
- Polyair for their residential entry of a research project that included two houses in Toronto, Canada using Polyair SuperCell FP, SuperCell FF, SuperCell UC and Flexotherm Vapour Barrier.