The back half of 2023 proved to be fruitful for roofing contractors and the companies supporting them, with multiple awards recognizing the hard work, dedication and outstanding business practices roofing professionals execute daily.
Receiving awards is about more than acquiring a trophy or plaque to add to your office décor, notes Heather Ripley, founder of Knoxville, Tenn.-based Ripley PR, in an October article on roofingcontractor.com. Ripley said companies seeking and winning credible awards — and then leveraging those wins through promotion — are more likely to increase sales, enjoy more satisfied customers and gain access to a deeper talent pool than their competitors.
“Awards boost employee morale and give your company more credibility; participating in and winning awards increases your chances of being seen by potential customers because of the added visibility,” she wrote.
Be it an individual or contracting firm receiving kudos for an exemplary project or noteworthy performance, RC has rounded up some of the awards bestowed on those whose hard work garnered recognition during the last six months.
MRCA Honors Dedicated Members, Family Legacies
Family-owned companies have a long, rich history within the roofing industry, and in recognizing the feat of longevity, the Midwest Roofing Contractors Association recently established the MRCA “Family Legacy Award.”
The award pays homage to multi-generational member firms with a strong tradition of giving back to the industry by supporting the MRCA and contributing to their local communities’ civic needs.
During its 2023 Conference and Expo, the MRCA presented this new award to the Langer family of Langer Roofing and Sheet Metal in Milwaukee, Wis. Three generations of Langers were present to receive the award, including Glenn E. Langer – a James Q. McCawley Award recipient – his son Mark Langer, and grandson Glenn Langer.
“I’m very, very proud to have my dad and my son with me here,” said Mark, noting, “We’re actually four generations; my dad and my grandfather started our company in 1956.”
Greg Bloom, vice president of national and strategic accounts at Beacon Building Supply (right) receiving the 2023 James Q. McCawley Award.
This year’s James Q. McCawley Award, the MRCA’s highest honor, was bestowed to Greg Bloom, vice president of national and strategic accounts at Beacon Building Supply. The award has been given annually since 1969 to individuals who "demonstrate outstanding service to the industry over a long period of time.”
“This year’s winner is the epitome of what is good in roofing and has spent the last 40-plus years of his career devoted to bettering our industry,” Langer, who is also a member of the MRCA council, said of this year’s recipient. “We honor not only an industry icon but also a cherished friend in Greg Bloom.”
Bloom first entered the industry with Allied Building Products, working in a warehouse during his first summer after his freshman year of college; he joined the firm as an outside sales representative after graduation and, as an aptly applied saying goes, was "off to the races." (Bloom was a scholar-athlete in college.) Allied, a once-stalwart building materials supplier based in the Northeast, was acquired by Beacon Building Supply in 2018.
“I am passionate about what I do; I am passionate about this industry,” he said upon receiving the award. “I am passionate about this association, and I’m passionate about all of you.”
The MRCA conference also recognized companies and individuals exemplifying safe practices, including the Naphis Mitchell-Reyes Excellent Safety Professional Award, given this year to Bob Poutre of Roof Tech, Stillwater, Minn., and the 2023 MRCA president.
Other awardees included:
Board Service Award
- Mike Budenbender
- Ronnie McGlothlin
- Rodney Hughes
- Fred Horner
Industry Innovation Award
- OMG Roofing Products – ReadySump RetroDrain
Community Impact Award
- IB Roof Systems
S-5!'s PVKIT HUR, the newest version of the PVKIT solar mounting attachment for metal roofs.
Earning Medals for Metal
This year’s METALCON expo, held in Las Vegas last October, let participants decide their favorite products related to metal, voting in 15 separate categories. The top three vote-getters were the 2023 METALCON People’s Choice Award winners.
Taking first place in the category of technology was MetalCoffeeShop’s “MetalTalk,” a webinar series featuring industry thought leaders discussing technology and more in a ‘Read, Listen or Watch’ format.
In second place, the manufacturer S-5! was the fan favorite within the accessories category for its PVKIT HUR, the newest version of the PVKIT solar mounting attachment for metal roofs. The mounting equipment, designed to withstand extremely high wind uplift forces — including hurricane-force winds — is also the first metal roof PV mounting system certified with FM Approval’s toughest PV Standard.
In third place, within the rollforming equipment category, was CIDAN Machinery Group’s XTap and XSpace. The XTAP features conical bending, allowing automatic angled positioning of back gauge fingers with the ProLink control system, ensuring seamless production of gutters and copings, perfect for high-speed manufacturing.
“After one of our busiest and best shows ever in Las Vegas, we are excited to announce our top three METALCON People’s Choice Award winners,” said Judy Geller, METALCON vice president of tradeshows. “We look forward to seeing what’s in store for next year’s showcase of top products and cutting-edge technologies in Atlanta.”
The Metal Construction Association, which sponsors the annual METALCON show, also announced the winners of its 2023 MCA Design Awards. The winning projects showcase the use of metal in design and construction and honor the architects, designers and contractors creating these outstanding projects. Below are just a few of the winners:
Best Overall / Solar / Custom
Thirty75 — Santa Clara, Calif.
- MCA Member Company: PPG Industries
- Architect: Verse Design Los Angeles
- Contractor: Truebeck Construction
- Metal Installer: AGA/AGS, Viking Steel, SME
Insulated Metal Panels
Fred Ayres Memorial Playground at Pineapple Park, Jensen Beach, Fla.
- MCA Member Company: 3A Composites USA
- Architect: Flad Architects
- Contractor: DPR Construction
- Metal Installer: SPS Corporation, BEES, Bonitz
4/Way House — Topanga, Calif.
- MCA Member Company: RHEINZINK
- Architect: Deegan-Day Design & Architecture
- IncorporatedContractor: Kent Snyder Construction
- Metal Installer: Atlas Sheet Metal
Commercial Roof, First Place
Katy Trail Ice House — Las Vegas, Nev.
- MCA Member Company: Nucor Buildings Group, and McElroy Metal
- Architect: Gensler
- Contractor: Burke Construction
- Metal Installer: Battle Born Steel
Commercial Roof, Second Place
Phoenix Sky Harbor Sky Train — Phoenix, Ariz.
- MCA Member Company: Dura Coat Products
- Architect: SmithGroup/Gannet Fleming
- Contractor: Hensel Phelps
- Metal Installer: Kovach
Distributors, Manufacturers and More
Roofing contractors weren’t the only ones earning praise for their efforts. Distributors, manufacturers and service providers also received attention for how their products and services benefit contractor firms. Contractors should consider paying close attention to the following companies that help boost businesses with their award-winning products and practices.
- AccuLynx, a provider of all-in-one business management software for roofing contractors, was recognized as a 2023 Roofing Software Category Leader by popular software review site, GetApp. This award is AccuLynx’s 10th recognition in 2023.
- GAF’s Timberline UHDZ shingles were among the products receiving the seal of approval in Good Housekeeping’s 2023 Home Renovation Awards, lauded as “reliable roofing.”
- The Los Angeles Business Council honored GAF Energy with its Sustainability Innovation Award at the Council’s 17th Annual Sustainability Summit for the company’s design and development of Timberline Solar Energy Shingle, the company’s nailable solar shingle.
- Malco Products, a manufacturer of high-quality tools for the building construction trades, earned recognition for its Andy Aluminum Handled Offset Left Snips and its Adjustable Siding Gauge from the 2023 Pro Tool Innovation Awards.
- Elite Roofing Supply, an independent distributor of roofing materials, was nominated for the 2023 Arizona Corporate Excellence [ACE] awards presented by the Phoenix Business Journal.
- Brava Roof Tile named 20 contractors in its 2023 Excellence Awards, which honor outstanding projects using Brava’s synthetic roofing materials.