The Roofing Alliance Announces 2020 Student Competition Finalists
ROSEMONT, Ill. — The Roofing Alliance, the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), has revealed the five finalist teams in the 2020 Construction Management Student Competition.
Celebrating its sixth year, the competition had eight schools participate. Based on their written proposals, five finalist teams were selected and will compete on Feb. 5 at the 2020 International Roofing Expo (IRE) in Dallas.
The five finalist schools who will be presenting in Dallas are:
- Auburn University, The McWhorter School of Building Science, Auburn, Ala. with Rachel Nemecek (team captain), Samuel Short, Oliver Reinwald, Davis Hambrick and Walker Lott (alternate). Faculty advisor is Lauren Redden. Team Mentor is Kyle Thomas, Thomas Roofing Co. Inc., Mobile, Ala.
- Clemson University, Clemson, S.C. with Brad Smith (team captain), David Compton, Patrick McLeod (alternate), Hallie Bowers and Hendrix Smith. Faculty advisor is Dr. Dhaval Gajjar. Team mentor is Nicholas Hotze, Guy Roofing Inc., Spartanburg, S.C.
- Colorado State University, Department of Construction Management, Fort Collins, Colo. with Brendan Phelan (team captain), Paul Cheever, Christopher Vargas and Jake Peckham. Faculty advisor is Nick Rubino. Team mentor is Kent Nelson, Front Range Roofing Systems LLC, Greeley, Colo.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas with Tyler Stivers (team captain), Austin Davis (alternate), Erbey Hernandez, Collin Rosser and Kyler Hardison. Faculty advisor is Lance Simms. Team Mentor is Mark Standifer, King of Texas Roofing Company, LP, Grand Prairie, Texas.
- University of Florida, M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction, Gainesville, Fla. with Tony Centro (team captain), Ricardo Madero, Eric Biggs, Palmer Collins and Collin Galinas (alternate). Faculty advisor is Jim Sullivan. Team Mentor is Rob Springer of Springer-Peterson Roofing + Sheet Metal Inc., Eaton Park, Fla.
The Roofing Alliance construction management student competition is designed to test the students on their roofing knowledge, project management capabilities and presentation skills. This year, the teams are tasked with submitting a qualified bid package for a new roof system on the Ford Center, the indoor practice facility of the Dallas Cowboys.
The Ford Center is part of the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters in Frisco, Texas and was originally roofed by KPost Roofing & Waterproofing of Dallas. The teams researched the project, reviewed the plans and specifications, and assembled a full estimate and qualified bid package proposal that was submitted to a board of Roofing Alliance judges.
The five finalist teams will present their proposals as if they were presenting to the general contractor for the project on Wednesday, Feb. 5, starting at 7:45 a.m. The winning teams will be announced later that evening at the NRCA Industry Awards Ceremony at 5 p.m.
To learn more about the Roofing Alliance Construction Management Student Competition, visit www.roofingalliance.net.