ROSEMONT, Ill. — The Roofing Alliance, the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), announces the five schools that will be participating in the 2021-22 Construction Management Student Competition. These finalist teams will compete in the final leg of the competition, which is the oral presentations scheduled for Feb. 2, 2022, at the 2022 International Roofing Expo (IRE) in New Orleans.
The schools who will be participating in this eighth annual event are:
- California Polytechnic University; Nathan Horst (team co-captain), Steven Zheng (team co-captain), Claire Peters, Nick Reeves and Chance Giessinger (alternate); Faculty advisor is Dr. Jeong Woo; Team mentor is Rudy Gutierrez, Shell Roofing Solutions, Chino, Calif.
- Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.; James Goodwin (team captain), Jackson Davis, Tristan Moseley, Allie Stark and Declan Fay (alternate); Faculty advisor is Dr. Dhaval Gajjar. Team mentor is Will Fort, Bone Dry Roofing, North Charleston, S.C.
- Colorado State University, Department of Construction Management, Fort Collins, Colo.; Kendall Carter (team captain), Dylan Smithwick, Mackenzie Voshage and Jack Wathen; Faculty advisor is Nick Rubino. Team mentor is Kent Nelson, Front Range Roofing Systems LLC, Greeley, Colo.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas; Kyler Hardison (team captain), Blake Bocchino, Kyle Cahill, Canyon Martine and Alexia Palomares (alternate); Faculty advisor is Larry McGinn. Team Mentor is Mark Standifer, King of Texas Roofing Company, LP, Grand Prairie, Texas.
- University of Florida, M.E. Rinker, SR. School of Building Construction, Gainesville, Fla.; Ansley Spofford (team captain), Ryan Freeman, Avery Tyndall and John Zielinski; Faculty advisor is Jim Sullivan. Team Mentor is Rob Springer of Springer-Peterson Roofing + Sheet Metal Inc., Eaton Park, Fla.
The Roofing Alliance construction management student competition is designed to test the students on their roofing knowledge, project management capabilities and presentation skills. This year, the teams are tasked with submitting a qualified bid package for reroofing the Four Points Sheraton Hotel on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. The teams must research the project, review the plans and specifications, and assemble a full estimate and proposal to submit a qualified bid package.
All participating teams submitted their proposal packages on Nov. 19, 2021, which were then reviewed by industry judges with five teams selected as finalists. The teams will now travel to the IRE in New Orleans, where they will present their proposals as if they were presenting to the general contractor for the project on Feb. 2. Winning teams will be announced at the NRCA Awards Ceremony, Feb. 2, starting at 5 p.m.
To learn more about the Roofing Alliance Construction Management Student Competition visit www.roofingalliance.net or contact Roofing Alliance Executive Director Alison L. LaValley, CAE at firstname.lastname@example.org.