The Roofing Alliance, the foundation of National Roofing Contractors Association, revealed the six schools that will be participating in the 2022-23 Construction Management Student Competition. These finalist teams will compete in the final leg of the competition — the oral presentations — on March 8 at 8 a.m. during the International Roofing Expo (IRE) in Dallas.
The schools participating in this ninth annual hallmark event are:
- Bradley University, Peoria, Ill. – Hayden Crawford (team captain), Arnaud Dushime, Matthew Kruger, Victoria Urbanczyk and Adam Wascher (team alternate); faculty advisor is Souhail Elhouar; team mentor is Doug Duncan, Nations Roof, Villa Park, Ill.
- California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, Calif. – Calvin Clauson (team captain), Joe Catani, Noah Warren, Blake Hanson and JT Rich (team alternate); faculty advisor is Vineeth Dharmapalan; team mentor is Rudy Gutierrez, Shell Roofing Solutions, Chino, Calif.
- Clemson University, Clemson, S.C. – Tristan Moseley (team captain), Jackson Davis, Murray Newell, Alaina Pruette and Allie Stark (team alternate); faculty advisor is Dr. Dhaval Gajjar; team mentor is Will Fort, Bone Dry Roofing, North Charleston, S.C.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo. – Dylan Smithwick (team captain), Saul Escobar, William Maguire, Jack Wathen and Manuel Vargas (team alternate); faculty advisor is Nick Rubino; team mentor is Kent Nelson, Front Range Roofing Systems LLC, Greeley, Colo.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas – Blake Bocchino (team captain), Josh Coker, Tamaryn Hughes, Alexia Palomares and Thomas De Lancey (team alternate); faculty advisor is Michael Hanks; team mentors are Lance Van Winkle and Kyle Cahill, King of Texas Roofing Company LP, Grand Prairie, Texas.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. – Jason Coil (team captain), Nick Hanson, Calissa Harris, Davis Lunger and Jonathan Villareal (team alternate); faculty advisor is Jim Sullivan; team mentor is Caleb Stauss, Big D Roofing Services, Ocala, Fla.
The Roofing Alliance Construction Management Student Competition tests students on their roofing knowledge, project management capabilities and presentation skills. This year’s project is Globe Life Field in Dallas. Teams researched the chosen project, submitted a qualified bid package proposal, and will provide an oral presentation to illustrate their roofing, project management, estimating and safety knowledge.
All participating teams submitted their proposal packages, which were then reviewed by a panel of industry judges. The teams will travel to Dallas, where they will present their proposals as if they were presenting them to the general contractor for the project. The top three winning teams will be announced at the NRCA Awards Ceremony and Cocktail Reception on March 8, starting at 5 p.m.
To register for the student competition, visit the International Roofing Expo website. For more information about the Roofing Alliance, please contact Alison L. LaValley, CAE, executive director, at email@example.com.