Pennsylvania Roofing Contractor Dies After Electrocution and Fall
PHILADELPHIA, Penn. — A 64-year-old roofing contractor is dead after he was electrocuted and fell during a roofing job on Aug. 15.
According to CBS Philly, the man was working on the roof of a private residence in the Northern Liberties section of the city. Just after 10 a.m., he was electrocuted by wiring. He subsequently fell three stories to the ground.
The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:41 a.m. At the time of publication, the victim was not identified, but authorities state he worked for a private roofing company.
The incident was reported to OSHA and the Department of Licenses & Inspection responded to the scene.
Electrocution is one of the many dangers that roofing contractors face. In September 2018, a 16-year-old male roofer was electrocuted while attempting to maneuver a fully extended 25-foot ladder. According to the report, he lost control of the ladder and it fell backwards, where it made contact with a 7,200-volt power line. The current traveled through the ladder and into the worker. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Data from the Center for Construction Research and Training shows that 17 electrocution deaths in the construction industry from 2008-10 were roofers. Almost 60 percent of electrocution fatalities for non-electrical workers was caused by overhead power lines. Of them,13 percent were roofers.