The Roofing Alliance, the nonprofit arm of the National Roofing Contractors Association, announced the teams competing at next February’s Construction Management Student Competition during the International Roofing Expo in Las Vegas.
This is the 10th anniversary of the competition, and the field of candidates competing will be winnowed down to a handful of finalists who will then present their plans during IRE; winners will be named at the expo’s annual evening dinner. The Roofing Alliance plans to announce the finalists next January.
According to an October 17 news release, the Roofing Alliance made note of the volume of construction management programs at several universities that have expressed their intent to compete in the 2024 competition.
This year’s competition is based on the roof of the Formula 1 Paddock Building in Las Vegas. Roofed by Commercial Roofers of Las Vegas, the complex project will challenge the following 10 teams, including three new schools with first-time participants.
The 10 construction management schools competing are:
- Auburn University, Auburn, Ala. – Team mentor is Paige Harvill, Nations Roof, Mobile, Ala.
- Bradley University, Peoria, Ill. – Team mentor is Doug Duncan, Nations Roof, Villa Park, Ill.
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Calif. – Team mentor is Rudy Gutierrez, Shell Roofing Solutions, Chino, Calif.
- Clemson University, Clemson, S.C. – Team mentor is Will Fort, Bone Dry Roofing, North Charleston, S.C.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo. – Team mentor is Kent Nelson, Front Range Roofing Systems LLC, Greeley, Colo.
- Illinois State University*, Normal, Ill. – Team mentor is CJ Martin, Showalter Roofing Services, Naperville, Ill.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas – Team mentor is Kyle Cahill, King of Texas Roofing Company, Grand Prairie, Texas
- University of Arkansas*, Little Rock, Ark. – Team Mentor is David Workman, RoofConnect, Sheridan, Ark.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. – Team mentor is Caleb Stauss, Big D Roofing, Ocala, Fla.
- University of North Florida*, Jacksonville, Fla. – Team mentor is Marshall Hall, Childers Roofing & Sheet Metal – A Tecta America Company LLC, Jacksonville, Fla.
*Denotes first-time entrant
Teams research the chosen project, submit a qualified bid package proposal and complete an oral presentation, illustrating their roofing, project management, estimating and safety knowledge. After receiving project details, each team is assigned a roofing contractor mentor to guide them while students craft their written proposal. Proposals are reviewed and scored by a panel of industry judges.
“This hallmark event exposes students to roofing as a career choice and provides a valuable opportunity to network and connect with fellow students, faculty and Roofing Alliance members,” said Greg Bloom, Roofing Alliance president. “Every roofing professional should plan to attend the student competition. This is the future, and we need to support them and this competition.”
Finalist teams are invited to attend the Roofing Alliance’s Welcome Reception, tour the F1 Paddock Building and attend NRCA’s Industry Awards Ceremony and Cocktail Reception, where winning teams will be recognized on stage.
For more information, contact the Roofing Alliance Executive Director, Alison L. LaValley, CAE, at email@example.com or visit roofingalliance.net.