According to roofing professionals who took RC’s 2023 State of the Industry survey, metal roofing is the second-best revenue generator for both residential and commercial contractors. What’s more, respondents reported even larger revenue gains from metal sales than the previous year.

More homeowners are recognizing the benefits offered by metal roofing systems, whether it’s the durability or sustainability they bring compared to other systems. But going into metal roofing is more than just offering standing seam roofs and hoping for the best.

If you’re looking to hop on the growing and durable trend of metal roofing, the International Roofing Expo is giving attendees the opportunity to hear from one of the foremost experts in the field. Rob Haddock, CEO and founder of S-5! and director of Metal Roof Advisory Group, will present “Understanding Metal Roofing: Part I and II,” on March 8.

Often billed as "Metal Roofing 101," the course teaches the fundamentals of metal roofing. In part I, Haddock presents technical information in a common-sense fashion that makes the science of metal roofing clear, concise and understandable. Attendees also learn about the history of metal roofing, different metals and metallic coatings, and specifics about metallurgy, galvanic weathering and proper material selection.

Roughly 70% of the course is devoted to the principals of design, fabrication, thermal response and other relevant topics. The remaining 30% is divided between steep-slope and low-slope material. Part II will be held later that morning, and will supplement and expand on the metal roofing essentials covered in Part I. Attendees will learn about the coil coating process, common and popular critical details of steep-slope and low-slope construction, curved applications and wind issues. The program also delves into system design, drainage principles and system selection criteria. This includes the principles of water-shedding and hydrostatic designs.

Haddock has spoken at industry tradeshows, including METALCON and IRE, for more than 35 years. He is a member of the National Roofing Contractors Association and ASTM as well as a course author for the Roofing Industry Educational Institute, the Roof Consultants Institute, and the University of Wisconsin. He has won numerous industry awards from Metal Construction Association, CSI, ASTM and Metal Building Manufacturers Association.


IRE 2023 Session Preview

Title: Understanding Metal Part I and II
Speaker: Rob Haddock, director of Metal Roof Advisory Group and founder and CEO of S-5!
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 7:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.; 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Room: C147

Allied Market Research valued the metal roofing market at $23.8 billion in 2020, and projects it to reach $33.5 billion by 2030, growing at an annual rate of 3.5%.

Contractors, architects, specifiers, roof consultants, engineers, building owners and maintenance staff will benefit from these sessions. It is considered one of the best “crash courses” available for industry sales personnel.

In addition to the benefits metal roofing provides, several roofing contractors said that metal roofing has become a popular roof amidst the ongoing supply chain issues due to availability. In Florida, following the devastation from Hurricane Ian, AAA Roofing in Boca Raton has talked multiple homeowners into metal roofing despite its higher price point.

“I have one guy that his tile was supposed to be here in February and now they've pushed it to April. And he just switched. He goes, ‘Cancel it – put the metal on like you told me to,’” said Dan Carll, president of AAA Roofing.


  • A deeper understanding of core metal roofing fundamentals
  • Expert advice on the coil coating process and common steep-slope construction issues
  • A grasp on the various types of metal roofing systems and materials in steep and low slope roofing
  • Tips on fabrication and manufacturing techniques, various seam types and panel profiles in addition to underlayments, the use and misuse of sealants, seam technologies and the principles of thermal cycling and panel anchorage.