Editor's Note: This video was recorded prior to the official announcement that the IRE 2021 will be moved to April 2021. Click here for more details.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a number of conventions, expos and other gatherings in the roofing industry have been postponed or canceled. It’s only natural to wonder if the International Roofing Expo (IRE), the industry’s largest event, will be the next to meet this fate.
As of July 8, officials with the IRE have confirmed that the 2021 event will be held as scheduled. The event will take place Feb. 24-26, 2021, in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center and will follow Informa’s strict health and safety measures.
“These measures are in addition to government local authorities and the Mandalay Bay Convention Center which is currently requiring all guests to wear masks inside of public spaces,” the IRE website states.
Informa AllSecure noted it is adapting, at the minimum, the following standards:
- Enhanced Cleaning: Public, high-traffic areas of the Mandalay Bay Convention Center will undergo deep cleanings before, during and after the IRE.
- Non-Contact Registration: There will be a non-contact registration and badge pick-up for participants.
- Limited Physical Contact: Participants are asked to avoid physical contact like handshakes and embraces and instead find other ways to greet business partners. Additionally, the exchange of printed materials will be discouraged, and instead use digital alternatives.
- First Aid: Event participants will have access to qualified EMT personnel in a quarantine area.
- Adapted Conference Rooms and Sessions: Seating arrangements and set-up in conference and meeting rooms will be laid out to provide extra space between seats.
“We would not hold an event that we felt would risk the health or safety of our attendees,” said Ray Giovine, group director at Informa, in a written statement. “We are expecting a strong turnout at the event. We are hearing from our exhibitors that they are looking forward to the show and connecting with industry.”
IRE 2020, held in Dallas, broke records with a massive 17,060 attendees and 541 companies displaying thousands of products and services.
Should IRE 2021 be canceled due to COVID-19, Informa offers exhibitors the choice to have their payments refunded or applied to the 2022 event scheduled for New Orleans. All conference and expo registrants will be fully refunded, as will hotel accommodations booked through OnPeak.