For over 30 years, the Roofing Alliance has invested time and funds to help educate the roofing industry and the industry’s youth. This has been made possible through the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program, which was named for Melvin Kruger, a former president of the NRCA, a former president of the Roofing Alliance and CEO of L.E. Schwartz & Son Inc., Macon, Ga. NRCA contractor and supplier members, their families and their employees are all eligible to partake in this program as long as they intend to pursue a career in the roofing or construction industries.
The Roofing Alliance approved eight new Roofing Alliance Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship recipients:
- Theodore Barton, son of Simon Barton, branch manager, Crowther Roofing & Sheet Metal of Florida. Inc.
- Davis Edwards, son of Van Edwards, COO, Mid-South Roof Systems
- Caylin Angel, daughter of Adam Angel, project manager, Kalkreuth Roofing & Sheet Metal
- Cole Beyer, son of Steve Beyer, inspection/roof management, Allweather Roof
- Cade Edwards, son of Van Edwards, COO, Mid-South Roof Systems
- Grace Wear, daughter of Ryan Wear, service manager, Kalkreuth Roofing & Sheet Metal
- Erich Langstine, son of Erich Langstine, engineering co-op, GAF
- Julia Shanahan, daughter of Christopher Shanahan, business development and bid manager, Ruff Roofer
In addition, the Roofing Alliance approved two renewals:
- Morgan Patterson - attending DePaul University, Chicago, Ill.
- Zackary Cekalla – attending University of Minnesota: Duluth
“A total of $40,000 was awarded for new scholarships with an additional $10,000 awarded for renewal scholarships,” said Alison LaValley, Roofing Alliance executive director. “Roofing Alliance leadership is very proud to be able to support the roofing industry with these scholarships. To date a total of 149 students have received $1.01 million in scholarship awards.”
Details for the 2023-24 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program and the application guidelines will be available in mid-September. For more information on the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship plus information about the Roofing Alliance, contact LaValley at email@example.com or visit roofingalliance.net.