WASHINGTON — The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA) has recognized 12 asphalt roofing manufacturers for their exceptional workplace safety records and commitment to worker health.
The 2013 Accident Prevention Contest awarded 95 individual roofing facilities for the results of their quarterly safety data reports, which were submitted to ARMA’s Health, Education and Safety (HSE) Committee throughout the year. Grouped by number of hours completed, each of the winning companies and their facilities were found to have safety records above and beyond their peers.
“Since 1983, ARMA has run the annual Accident Prevention Contest, and with it the asphalt roofing industry has continuously demonstrated its commitment to workplace safety,” said Reed Hitchcock, executive vice president of ARMA. “The safety of our member’s facilities and their workers is a top priority for this industry, and the companies’ pledges to improvements in that area continue to benefit everyone involved.”
All regular ARMA manufacturer members are eligible to enter the contest and may submit data for their entire company or a specific division, plant or mill in North America. Contestants are scored using the ARMA Index, which rates the safety of a facility based on the same definitions and criteria set forth by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Winners are recognized in four different categories: the President’s Award, the Award of Excellence, the Perfect Employee Safety Certificate and the Certificate of Improvement.
President’s Award: Presented to the plant in each labor-hour group that has had the lowest combined ARMA Index over the past two years.
• Group A (greater than 300,000 labor-hours worked per year) — GAF: Michigan City, Ind.
• Group B (200,000 to 300,000 labor-hours) — GAF: Shafter, Calif.
• Group C (100,000 to 200,000 labor-hours) — Owens Corning: Savannah, Ga.
• Group D (100,000 or fewer labor-hours) — CertainTeed Corporation: Wilmington, Calif.
Award of Excellence: Presented to those plants that have recorded three consecutive years of a “perfect” ARMA Index (i.e., an index of 0.00) and are not President’s Award winners.
• CertainTeed Corporation: Little Rock, Ark.
• GAF: Walpole, Mass.
• Henry Company: Bartow, Fla.; Houston; Huntington Park, Calif.; and Ontario, Canada
• Owens Corning (Asphalt): Atlanta; Memphis, Tenn.; Minneapolis; Portland, Ore.; and Summit, Ill.
• Tarco: North Little Rock, Ark.
Perfect Employee Safety Certificate: Presented to those plants that had a "perfect" ARMA Index for 2013.
• CertainTeed Corporation: Shakopee, Minn.; Ennis, Texas; Fremont, Calif.; Little Rock, Ark.; Peachtree City, Ga.; Portland, Ore.; and Wilmington, Calif.
• GAF: Michigan City, Ind.; Minneapolis; Mobile, Ala.; Shafter, Calif.; Stockton, Calif.; and Walpole, Mass.
• Henry Company: Bartow, Fla.; Houston; Huntington Park, Calif.; Indianapolis; and Ontario, Canada
• Johns Manville: Plattsburgh, N.Y.; and South Gate, Calif.
• Owens Corning: Irving, Texas; Brentwood, N.H.; Memphis, Tenn.; Compton, Calif.; Denver; Minneapolis; and Savannah, Ga.
• Owens Corning (Asphalt): Atlanta; Compton, Calif.; Denver; Irving, Texas; Kearny, N.J.; Medina, Ohio; Memphis, Tenn.; Minneapolis; Oklahoma City; Portland, Ore.; and Summit, Ill.
• SOPREMA Inc.: Gulfport, Miss.
• TAMKO Building Products: Ennis, Texas; Green Cove Springs, Fla.; Joplin, Mo.; and Naples, Texas
• Tarco: North Little Rock, Ark.
Certificate of Improvement: Presented to those plants who demonstrate an improvement in their ARMA Index of at least 25 percent above their previous year's performance.
• CertainTeed Corporation: Shakopee, Minn.; Ennis, Texas; Fremont, Calif.; Peachtree City, Ga.; Portland, Ore.; Norwood, Mass.; and Shreveport, La.
• GAF: Dallas; Ennis, Texas; Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Minneapolis; and Mobile, Ala.
• Henry Company: Kimberton, Pa.; and Garland, Texas
• IKO Production Inc.: Sumas, Wash.
• Johns Manville: Plattsburgh, N.Y.; and Oklahoma City
• Malarkey Roofing Products: Southgate, Calif.
• Owens Corning: Summit, Ill.; Irving, Texas; Memphis, Tenn.; Compton, Calif.; Denver; and Minneapolis
• Owens Corning (Asphalt): Compton, Calif.
• Polyglass USA Inc.: Hazleton, Pa.
• Siplast: Arkadelphia, Ark.
• TAMKO Building Products: Frederick, Md.; Phillipsburg, Kan.; Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Ennis, Texas; Green Cove Springs, Fla.; Naples, Texas; and Joplin, Mo.
• Tarco: Belton, Texas
The winners of ARMA’s 2013 Accident Prevention Contest were first announced at the association’s Board of Directors meeting in May. Data entered into the contest covers the period of Jan. 1-Dec.31, 2013.
For more information, visit www.asphaltroofing.org.