GLENVIEW, Ill. — The Metal Construction Association (MCA) recognized its 2012 Chairman’s Award recipients at METALCON International. The Chairman’s Awards are an annual designation given to outstanding building projects involving MCA member companies. The awards honor innovation and creativity while showcasing how metal products help achieve exceptional building designs.
Todd Miller (left), MCA Chairman, presents the award for Metal Roofing to Dick Bus and Jim Bush of ATAS for the New Holy Cross Church of Christ project in Trenton, N.J.
MCA Chairman Todd Miller welcomed press and award recipients at a press conference in the Solar Bay demonstration area of METALCON. MCA then presented a short video describing the nine winning projects. Afterward, MCA member company representatives accepted award plaques.
Recipients for these awards are selected each year from projects submitted by MCA members to Metal Architecture Magazine’s annual Design Awards Program. This year, the honorees were chosen by a panel of professional architects. The panel included Andrew M. Koglin, AIA; Elaine Fitzgerald, CSI, CDT, CCS; and Hector Hernandez, Assoc. AIA, LEED GA.
The MCA Chairman’s Awards were given in eight categories. The projects that received 2012 Chairman’s Awards were:
• Overall Excellence: Chihuahua’s Businessmen Foundation (FECHAC) Regional Office, Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. MCA member manufacturer is Alcoa Architectural Products.
• Municipal: Port Pavilion on Broadway Pier, San Diego, Calif. Morin, A Kingspan Group Company and PPG Industries Inc are MCA member manufacturers.
• Education—Primary and Secondary Schools: Cincinnati Public Schools Erich Kunzel Center for Arts and Education, Cincinnati, Ohio. RHEINZINK America is the MCA member manufacturer.
• Education—Colleges and Universities: Student Center at Monterrey Technical University, Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. MCA member manufacturer is Alcoa Architectural Products.
• Institutional: Temple Sinai, Oakland, Calif. Umicore Building Products USA Inc. is the MCA member manufacturer.
• Commercial/Industrial: Whole Foods Market, Oklahoma City, Okla. MCA member manufacturer is RHEINZINK America and MCA metal installer is NOW Specialties, Inc.
• Metal Roofing: New Holy Cross Church of Christ, Trenton, N.J. ATAS International is the MCA member manufacturer.
• Residential: McElrath Residence, Chelsea, Mich. MCA member manufacturer is Petersen Aluminum.
The following project was acknowledged with an Honorable Mention Award for Overall Use of Metal:
• California ISO Headquarters, Folsom, Calif. MCA member manufacturers are CENTRIA and 3A Composites.
For more information on the MCA Chairman’s Awards, visit www.metalconstruction.org.