The Roofing Alliance invites attendees to watch future construction industry leaders in action during the 2021-22 Construction Management Student Competition.
The Student Competition, now in its eighth year, invites students to create both a written and oral proposal for a roofing project. This year’s project is the Four Points Sheraton Hotel located on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. This roofing project consists of work on approximately 18,000 square feet of five levels of roof over a structural concrete deck.
The five finalists are presenting 15-minute oral presentations from 8–11:30 a.m. on Feb. 2 in room 238. The event is free to attend.
2021-22 Construction Management Student Competition
Date: Wednesday, Feb. 2, 8 to 11:30 a.m.
Why Attend? This hallmark competition promotes careers in roofing industry management by challenging students’ roofing knowledge, construction management skills, time management, and organizational and presentation skills.
The following teams will be presenting at this year’s competition:
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Calif. – Nick Reeves, Chance Giessinger (alternate), Claire Peters, Nathan Horst (team co-captain), Steven Zheng (team co-captain); faculty coach is Jeong Woo; team mentor is Rudy Gutierrez, Shell Roofing Solutions, Chino, Calif.
- Clemson University, Clemson, S.C. – Jackson Davis, James Goodwin (team captain), Allie Stark, Declan Fay (alternate), Walker Moseley; faculty coach is Dhaval Gajjar; team mentor is Will Fort, Bone Dry Roofing, North Charleston, S.C.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo. – Kendall Carter (team captain), Dylan Smithwick, Mackenzie Voshage and Jackson Wathen; faculty advisor is Nicholas Rubino; team mentor is Kent Nelson, Front Range Roofing Systems LLC, Greeley, Colo.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas – Kyle Cahill, Blake Bocchino, Canyon Martine, Kyler Hardison (team captain), Alexia Palomares (alternate); faculty advisor is Larry McGinn; team mentor is Mark Standifer, King of Texas Roofing Company LP, Grand Prairie, Texas.
- University of Florida, Gaines, Fla. – Avery Tyndall, Ansley Spofford (team captain), Ryan Freeman, John Zielinski; faculty advisor is James Sullivan; team mentor is Rob Springer, Springer-Peterson Roofing + Sheet Metal Inc., Eaton Park, Fla.
The winners will be announced during the National Roofing Contractors Association’s Awards Ceremony and Cocktail Reception on Feb. 2. The first place team will receive trophies and $5,000 L.B. Conway scholarship for the winning school. Second place receives trophies and a $2,500 Fred C. Good scholarship for the winning school. Two students will be recognized as best presenters and receive American Express gift cards.
The Student Competition is just one of the initiatives the Roofing Alliance uses in its commitment to bettering the industry by introducing students to the viability of a career in roofing.