NEWTON, Mass. — METALCON announces its program line-up for this year’s annual conference and tradeshow taking place at the Tampa Convention Center from Oct. 6 to Oct. 8.
From intensive pre-show workshops to 40-plus free educational sessions conveniently located inside the exhibit hall to inspiring keynotes and Super Sessions, top industry experts will share their knowledge with attendees who are eligible to earn more continuing education credits than ever before, including AIA, CSI, NABCEP and ICC learning units among others.
“We are extremely grateful to our 2021 sponsors, without them the show would not be possible: Mill Steel Company (platinum level), Sherwin-Williams(gold level), CIDAN Machinery Inc., and Flack Global Metals (silver level) along with long-time partner, the Metal Construction Association,” said METALCON Show Director Judy Geller.
Keynote speakers for this year’s show include Keith Colburn, star of the Discovery Channel’s hit show Deadliest Catch and captain of the Alaska King Crab fishing boat, Wizard along with Ken Simonson, chief economist of the Associated General Contractors of America.
On Wednesday, Oct. 6 at 10 a.m., Colburn will share his insights on leadership, teamwork, safety and being successful in today’s hyper-competitive business environment by providing parallels between his life as a captain and the high stress, highly competitive construction industry in "Words of Advice from the Captain of the Wizard: It’s Not Magic, It’s Hard Work!"
Then, on Thursday at 10 a.m., Simonson who has 40-plus years of experience analyzing, advocating and communicating about economic and tax issues will present the "U.S. Construction Outlook: Pandemic Impacts, Policy Initiatives, Project Implications." Simonson serves as liaison to the Census Bureau’s Construction Data Modernization Working Group. He is a Fellow and past president of the National Association for Business Economics, and co-director of the Tax Economists Forum in which he co-founded.
A variety of special focus areas are planned, including:
- The Architect’s Experience. Featuring a series of events over two days focused on the use of metal as a design and construction component, this new “show-within-a-show” is for architects, designers, specifiers and engineers to breathe new life into projects and solve a wide variety of architectural, structural, environmental and building performance challenges ― all through the use of metal. Also offered is an optional off-site tour of the Salvador Dalí Museum and a special keynote presentation by acclaimed architect Yann Weymouth.
- The Insulated Metal Panel Pavilion. For the first time ever, at METALCON, the IMP Alliance (leading manufacturers, material suppliers, and resellers) brings together the six major independent brands of leading insulated metal wall and roof panels that produce 85% to 90% of all IMPs shipped in the U.S. and Canada, all in one location — ATAS International Inc., All Weather Insulated Panels, CENTRIA, GreenSpan Profiles, Metl-Span and True Core Insulated Panels. Each will display their newest products and visual illustrations of various projects while offering on-site product and technical guidance. Understand why IMP roof panels are being described as “tomorrow’s roof panels today.”
- The New Solar Center. Business owners, designers, contractors, EPCs, solar developers and installers discover how solar can expand their businesses in a variety of educational sessions and live demos in the solar center sponsored by S-5! Don’t forget to sign up for the METALCON Solar Trivia Games.
Additional Learning Centers offering five 45-minute sessions from 11:30 am to 5 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday, and from 10:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday include the Business Development Learning Center covering best practices and need-to-know information take your business to the next level and the Technical Know-How Learning Center offering the latest construction technology products and solutions.
Also, new this year is METALCON’s Super Sessions to address some of the major issues facing the construction industry today. Whether it’s post-COVID strategic planning, the ownership transition process, materials, supply chain and labor woes, or growth opportunities to consider, each Super Session will arm attendees with new information, fresh ideas and strategic direction. They include:
- Find Your Focus for 2022 & Beat the Competition
- Creating an Exit Strategy: How to Successfully Transition Ownership and Leadership
- Disrupting Construction – Trends in Modular Building & Shipping Container-Based Structures
- Stop the Insanity: Why Construction Needs Workforce Diversity
- Federal Update – Solar Trade & Manufacturing
- Perspectives: What Contractors & Architects Wishes the Other Understood About Their Process
- The Roaring ‘20s Are Here! METALCON Live!... LIVE at METALCON!
- How to Recruit & Retain Women in Construction
- Using Technology Automation to Work Smarter
- Metal Architecture Design Awards Seminar
METALCON continues to offer in-depth workshops, which take place on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and aim to provide cutting-edge education and training, which cannot be found elsewhere.
Each year, METALCON gives back to the local community where the show takes place. METALCON is pleased to announce it is partnering with Feeding Tampa Bay for this year’s giving back program, which will raise money to help provide food to more than 1 million families in the 10-county area of West Central Florida.
“We couldn’t be more excited to bring METALCON back to you for the first time in two years,” said Geller. “Like many, we took advantage of the ‘year of the pivot’ and reached out to those who we serve ― past and present ― to map out the next chapter for an event that humbly began 31 years ago. The result is METALCON 2021, packed with opportunities to connect and to share ideas, solutions and information, along with the education you need to take your business to new heights ― all in the beautiful city of Tampa, Florida.”