With the start of summer around the corner and a focus on improvement projects that homeowners can tackle while sheltering in place due to COVID-19, now is a great time to consider exterior maintenance and care that will not only help improve curb appeal, but protect your home for the long run.
That includes roof maintenance and care. Simple cleaning will help reduce damaging elements such as pollution, airborne dirt and organic material debris. While metal roofs are well-known for being easy to maintain, exceptionally long lasting and durable thanks to special coatings and finishes, the Metal Roofing Alliance (MRA) recommends homeowners care for and clean their metal roofs regularly to ensure maximum performance. And the good news is unlike asphalt roofs which can be prone to moss, mildew and fungus and require harsh chemicals to clean, cleaning a quality metal roof is often as simple as using little more than plain water to effectively wash away dirt, dust and other debris.
Whether homeowners tackle cleaning themselves or hire a professional, it’s important to pay attention to proper maintenance methods and avoid mistakes that could cause damage. To clean your metal roof, follow this guidance from leading MRA members and always be sure to double-check your metal roofing manufacturer’s specific recommendations:
- Think safety first. Safety is always the most important step for any type of roof maintenance, no matter what the material. Do not do it yourself if you are not comfortable or well-prepared to take the proper precautions. Instead, hire a professional, reputable roof cleaning service that is experienced and knowledgeable. Ask questions, check references and be sure any professional you hire has experience and uses proper methods suitable for your type of roof.
- Prep your roof. Clean out all gutters and downspouts, and remove any large rooftop debris such as branches. Fix any gutter issues and trim vegetation away from the roof.
- Use the right formula. If water alone isn’t enough to remove common dirt and debris, mix 1/4 cup detergent (including mild laundry detergents, car washing soap, mild dish soap) per gallon of water. Do not overuse or abuse cleaning agents. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to help protect and maintain roof warranties.
- Easy does it. Apply the solution to the roof surface using washcloth, sponge, a soft bristle brush and/or non-abrasive pad. The goal is to use the lightest touch that will effectively do the job. Never use steel wool, wire brushes, high pressure power washers, scouring powders, paint removers or thinners on a metal roof.
- Give it the final touch. Let the solution stand for 5 to 10 minutes, before thoroughly rinsing the surface with plain water.
Quality metal roofs are one of the easiest types to clean and care for, making them exceptionally low maintenance and reducing the cost of ownership for the long run. Give them a little care, and your metal roof will stay beautiful, fresh and protect your home for many decades.
For more information about the benefits and long-term, low maintenance performance of metal roofs, visit the Metal Roofing Alliance at www.metalroofing.com.