WATERLOO, Iowa — Roofing contractors working on a bowling alley barely escaped injury after a truck carrying propane caught fire near their jobsite.
The Courier reports that roofers from a Cedar Rapids roofing company were finishing up a day's work at the Cadillac Lanes Bowling Center when one of the workers noticed the truck, which had a 100-pound tank typically used for heating roofing asphalt, had caught fire.
The employees managed to get away, and according to the Courier, neighbors behind the bowling alley heard an explosion. Flames from the truck spread to a utility truck parked next to the vehicle, and black smoke could be seen from miles away.
Waterloo Fire Rescue responded to the fire, using a water cannon mounted on a firetruck to extinguish the flames. This allowed them to approach on foot with hoses. A total of eight trucks and 18 firefighters responded.
No injuries were reported, and no damage to the building was reported.