LONGVIEW, Wash. — As consumer demand for sustainable building products continues to grow, the Metal Roofing Alliance (MRA) reports another market share gain for metal in the residential retrofit market. New independent research conducted by Dodge Data & Analytics on behalf of the MRA shows the total market share of metal roofing gained another 3 points in 2016, growing from 11 percent market share in 2015 to 14 percent in 2016. Between 2015-16, the total demand for metal roofing increased from 17.7 million squares to 19.4 million squares. Metal roofing is second only to asphalt shingle roofing in the remodeling market.
In 1998, when the MRA began educating homeowners with a national consumer awareness campaign, metal roofing market share was just 3.7 percent of the consumer re-roofing market. “MRA members’ commitment to growing the industry through ongoing focus and effort has clearly made a big difference. This latest surge brings us closer to hitting our goal of having metal comprise 20 percent of the residential roofing market by 2020,” states MRA President Dick Bus. “We believe our success in growing the residential market can be attributed to our consistent effort to educate both homeowners and roofing contractors about the many benefits of residential metal roofing.”
Dodge Data & Analytics performed an analysis designed to estimate the size of the U.S. new construction and repair and remodeling markets for metal roofing. The study reviewed a variety of metal roofing products, including: vertical ribbed panels, shingles, shakes, copper, tiles and slate panels. The study examined metal roofing activity across nine U.S. Census regions. Key findings include:
- The metal roofing market share in the remodeling market has increased in six of the nine Census regions, with gains ranging between 2 to 9 points. The Pacific, East South Central and Mid Atlantic regions show advances in metal roofing greater than 6 points.
- The region with the largest market share is the East South Central region (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee) with 30 percent of homes being re-roofed with metal.
- In the New England region (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and New England) data reveals that metal roofing increased 3 points to 12 percent market share.
- The East North Central region (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin), data shows metal roofing increasing 4 points to 13 percent market share.
- Asphalt had a 64 percent market share in 2015 and it is now just 59 percent in 2016.
- Twenty-nine percent of homeowners reported that they selected metal roofing because it was attractive, while 20 percent reported metal roofing to be a good investment that added value to their homes. Longevity (18 percent) and strength and protection (17 percent) were also attributes cited for choosing metal.
- Standing seam metal roofing is most popular in the East South Central (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee) at 96 percent. In the Pacific region (California, Oregon, Washington), and the Mountain region (Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming), shingle shake tile is the most popular metal roof choice for homes.
“Membership commitment to the MRA has been instrumental to our success. We invite more manufacturers to join us and enjoy the growth our efforts have produced. To think that we have areas in the U.S. that now boast 30 percent metal re-roof market share is very exciting and tells us that what we’re doing is working,” states Renee Ramey, executive director of the MRA.
For more information, please visit www.metalroofing.com.