Contractor Profile: Marcor Construction
Father, Daughter Team is the Driving Force behind Marcor Construction’s Success in a Competitive New York Market
Although it’s quite common for a son to follow in the steps of his father, it’s not every day that a daughter chooses the same path — especially in a male-dominated industry like roofing. But roofing hasn’t simply been a career path for Gina Farese, it’s been a way of life, having spent a great amount of her childhood entrenched in it.
Farese, 27, handles the day to day operations at Marcor Construction, and has worked side by side with her father, Owner Gary Marzano, for the past 10 years.
Located in West Babylon, N.Y., Marcor Construction covers the surrounding areas of Montauk and Westchester County, as well as the five boroughs. Operating with a team of eight office employees and various roofing and siding crews, Marcor allocates 90 percent of its business to residential work, and the remaining 10 percent to commercial.
Marzano, who was immersed in the construction industry from a young age, initially started his business as a side job while working in the automobile industry, a job which he held for 34 years. It wasn’t until the early 2000’s that Marzano made the decision to commit fully to the remodeling business. He later brought his daughter on board, and that’s when business began to boom.
“The business really took it the next level when my father and I teamed up together. We built a wholesale division of the company, then slowly built up an insurance division,” Farese said. “We had a dedicated residential end of the business.”
Staying innovative and uncovering new, useful methods for creating successful business opportunities remains a top priority for 2016.
When you’ve been around roofing your entire life, you learn a thing or two about the importance of safety and training on jobsites. Now that OSHA safety standards are set higher than ever before, it’s important for companies to remain compliant and regularly train employees on operating procedures. The team at Marcor has a detailed safety program in place to help maintain standards and several employees hold various levels of OSHA certifications.
“OSHA compliance is big. We’re always staying educated and up to date with the latest fall protection and necessary information to keep a safe working environment,” she said.
Regular training sessions are conducted monthly and vary from OSHA procedures to installation of new products. Manufacturers are frequently involved on projects to ensure all installations meet high-quality standards. In order to demonstrate to property owners the best options available, the team at Marcor also stays updated on new and developing technologies.
It’s procedures like these that have gained Marcor Construction many high-profile jobs throughout their territory, including the Bretton Woods Condo Association in Coram, N.Y., and a number of high-end home projects and developments.
In an effort to build credibility, Marcor is affiliated with several industry associations, including the National Association of the Remodeling Industry, the Long Island Business Institute and the Community Associations Institute.
“Many people think that if you join an organization you will get business, but these things take time, dedication and truly wanting to be a part of the organization,” Farese said.
Keeping employees satisfied is also very important. Farese said the company offers flexibility and gives the option of working weekends for additional compensation during the summer months.
Raising the Bar
Building strong, trusting relationships with customers — a trending challenge throughout the roofing industry — plays a large role in the roofing sales cycle at Marcor. In addition to educating homeowners about their options, the company spends a great deal of time assisting customers and aiding in their overall understanding of exactly what they’re getting with their project.
“Honesty is the best policy. You will not always be able to please everyone, but do your best,” Farese explained. “We truly love what we do. Our customers can sense that right off the bat.”
At the end of the day, the ultimate goal for the Marcor Construction team is having satisfied customers. That’s why they work so hard at what they do. Their mission statement, “Always Looking Up,” symbolizes the company’s mindset, and showcases their emphasis of keeping the customer’s needs at the forefront.
Farese explained the company difference at Marcor, and how they are constantly raising the bar when it comes to customer service and satisfaction. “We pay attention to details, their needs and wants, spend time with them and follow through on what they ask for,” she said.